Scripture Reflections

Sunday, October 10, 2010

GRATEFUL LIKE A DOG



October 10, 2010
Twenty-Eighth Sunday of the Year
2 Kings 5:14-17; 2 Timothy 2:8-13; Luke 17:11-19


There was a saintly man who spent most part of His days in prayer and meditation. One day, in an ecstatic vision he was taken up into heaven and stood before the majesty of God. God the Father welcomed him into the heavenly glory and asked, “what grace shall I give you today?”. The saintly man, in humility and love asked, if it will be pleasing to God to reveal to Him how the “mechanism of prayer” works in heaven. The Heavenly Father was delighted with such a request, and offered to tour him around the heavenly chambers of the department of prayer. God held his hand and there opened a door towards a large room where in so many saints and angels were engaged in hectic activity. The Holy Spirit was moving them inwardly all around. After a few moments another door was opened and the saintly man was led to a large room, much larger than the first. The room was filled with even more saints and angels all in hectic activity under the promptings of the Holy Trinity. The number of angels and saints who filled the room and the volume of tasks they were accomplishing were so immense that not even all the super computers in the world put together were able to compute them. As the saintly man was engrossed in wonder and owe, he was taken to another room, this time a much smaller one, as small as a cellar. In contrast to the first two rooms, this was very quiet and bereft of activities. There were only a dozen or so angels and saints who sat in office in this room, and they seemed to be moving slow. The saintly man then asked the Heavenly Father, why this contrast, and what these chambers represent? Then God the Father looked at the saintly man with gentleness and compassion, and said, this is the mechanism of the chambers of prayer. The first chamber is the chamber of “petition”. People on earth sent me their petitions every moment of their lives. They constantly ask me for so many things, of every need they have. They ask for healing, miracles, visions, strength, food, money, success, and what not. The chamber of petitions is where I sort these petitions in order and priority. The angels and saints are always active in this chamber, for, my children always cry out to me for help. The second chamber is that of “dispatching and delivery”. This is where I answer the cries of my children. All the prayers I receive in the “chamber of petitions” are instantly answered here. Furthermore, I answer not only what my children ask for, I grant them the grace and blessings which they cannot even identify, foresee, and name. I, being their Father knows what is best for them, and I give more than what people ask. This is why this chamber is full of activities. Now the third chamber is “the chamber of acknowledgment”. In this chamber we process all the “acknowledgment” of blessings and graces delivered. As you have noticed, this chamber is much smaller in size and is with little activity because we receive very few responses acknowledging a blessing. Oh, my children take my favors and blessings for granted, they keep on asking and demanding for more; and very few of them, very seldom acknowledge thank me for what I am and what I do for them.

The Highest form of Prayer:
Today Jesus reminds us to be grateful. The basic attitude of a Christian must be one of gratitude. Every moment of my life, every fiber of my being needs to be singing a constant hymn of gratitude because I live constantly in the immense mercy and kindness of God.

When my prayer is dominated by petitions, and I approach God only in moments of need, I assign God the role of a slot-machine who dispenses blessings and kindness. What drives me to God? What makes me to pray? What impels me to have faith? Am I driven by an urge to “receive and get”, feeling weak and helpless on my part? Or do I feel drawn to God because of His love for me, and because of my election as His child?

Gratitude is the highest form of prayer. The Eucharist, the supreme sacrament of prayer, is a sacrifice of gratitude. The very word Eucharistia in Greek means “thanksgiving” indicating an offering of gratitude for an ineffable benefit received, which can never be repaid. Such was the attitude of the Samaritan leper who, when realized that he was healed, returned to thank the Lord, fell at His feat, praised Him profusely and followed Him on His way. Similarly, Naaman, the Syrian, who was healed by Elisha also exhibits his faith in gratitude as he returned to thank the prophet. When Naaman wanted to offer a token of gratitude to prophet Elisha for the blessing he received, Elisha refused accept anything in return, for he realized that the healing grace imparted, and the gratitude therein belongs to God, and not to him. Naaman, then made a covenant with Yahweh that he will offer his life as a sacrifice of thanksgiving. How wonderful a gift the lepers received, and how wonderfully the gifts changed them that they have now become models of gratuitous faith!

Remembering:
Gratitude begins with remembrance. When I remember the blessings I have received, the grace I live with, the gifts I am endowed with and the benefits I constantly receive, I cannot but keep singing a litany of gratitude. One exercise worth doing and repeating is that of counting my blessings. I will never be able to count all the blessings that characterize my life for each moment in my life I keep receiving favors in ways and people I may never know. Greater are the invisible graces of my life, much more than the obvious and glaring gifts I enjoy. How can I be grateful enough for the gift of life, my physical, mental and spiritual attributes, health, family and relationships? Will I ever be able to compute and count the blessings I have cherished from the moment of my inception until this day, as to the people and resources spent in caring for me? Will this life be ever enough to repay the debt of gratitude I owe to God, to my parents, relatives, to the Church and to the society at large in contributing to what I am and what I have? Counting the blessings will help me to be on the track of a grateful life.

Recognizing:
Counting and remembering the blessings is not all. Christian gratitude is more than remembering. Remembrance should lead me to recognizing the source of the blessings. I need to grow from seeing the gifts to seeing the giver of the gifts. The ten lepers in the gospel were all blessed with healing. They were all happy for the gifts they received. They counted the blessings. They realized how immense a gift they have received was. A new found life, they could not wait any longer, they were eager to relish and live the gift given to them. When nine of them were totally focused on the “worth of the gift”, one of them realized the “worth of the giver”. He realized that this gift was not about him, but about Jesus. This made him retrace his steps, sing His praise, fall at His feet and surrender his life to Him. He not only said “thank you” Lord, but made his life a “thanksgiving” to the Lord.

A Formula for Happiness:

Here is the formula for a happy and contented life: Be grateful. Have an attitude of gratitude and you will be happy. When I am grateful for everything in my life, the only sentiment that fills my heart is that of praise admiration, admiration, wonder and amazement. This will lead me to see the brighter side of life, to be hopeful and trusting. A grateful person is able to accept pain and gain with a composed heart for he knows everything life offers him comes from the heart of a God who loves him immensely. If God gifts me something, it can only be the best. So if in spite of all my efforts what I am given is pain and suffering, this is the best God can offer me at the moment. The acceptance of the gift and the recognition of the giver leads me to a greater appreciation of my life experiences. I have no reason to complain and to grumble. The more I grow in gratitude, the more I grow in happiness.

The Attitude of Gratitude:

It is the attitude that defines a person. It is said that there are two basic attitudes that dominates our lives—the attitude of a dog and the attitude of a cat.

Cat and dog are both domesticated animals. We love them and care for them. Yet, they look at the love and care they receive differently. This is why they respond to our love in different manners. The cat would love to sit on your sofa and the best of the chairs, it would sit on your lap and eat from your table. The dog, on the other hand would be happy to sit at your feet, eat from the scrap that falls from your table and behold your face as you are seated on the chair. If the cat would prefer to sleep with you on your bed, the dog would be happy if you allow it to sleep under your bed. Take a cat for walk—it will walk before you and find its way where it likes to go. Take a dog for walk, it will follow you… even if you wouldn’t like it to follow you, it would love to walk behind you. The cat does not care when you return home, you call its name, it might just show its face and run away. But the dog will welcome you at the door, will show its excitement when you return home, and in all its strength and ability let you feel how much it missed you when you were away. The dog feels happy all the time it sees you. Now, this different behavior of the dog and cat are based on the way they think about you and what you do to them. The dog thinks, “my master loves me so much, and show so much care for me. Truly he must be God”. The cat on the other hand thinks, “They love me and care for me. Indeed, I must be really God!”

How about me? Am I more of a cat or of a dog? What attitude is dominant in me?
Am I a complaining and grumbling person or am I a praising and grateful person? Do I feel that I deserve the best, and I am not given enough? Do I complain that my parents, children, partner in life, boss, co-workers and subordinates do not give me what I truly deserve—love, care, respect and consideration? Do I feel the world owes me so much? Do I keep nagging about people and situations? Do I feel that I am treated unfairly and I give more than what is required of me? Have I ever felt that “I have a right on them, and they should be giving me from what they have because they have more”? If I feel yes, my attitude is that of the cat. The cat is never happy, never satisfied with what it has. It is never grateful.

If I feel that “I have not done anything extra-ordinary… I am an unprofitable servant” (Luke 17:10), I have an attitude like the dog. Do I feel happy whenever I receive a gift or favor? Do I feel that I owe them much for I have received much more? Do I easily remember what I borrow from people and forget what they owe me? Do I feel that others deserve better and more of blessings than I really have? Do I feel happy about the growth and achievements of my brothers and sisters? Do I take care to acknowledge the favors and help I receive from others?


The Leprosy of Ingratitude:

The Gospel story of the healing of the ten lepers reminds me also about the healing of leprosy I am afflicted with today—that of ingratitude. Ingratitude, like a leprosy, distorts me, impairs my vision, insensitizes my relationships and rottens my attitude. Ingratitude hurts. It hurts to be ignored of your love and sacrifices. Each of us has our own hurting stories of ingratitude. This day I bring before the Lord the pain of ingratitude I have experienced along with the pain I have inflicted upon others due to my apathy, indifference and ingratitude. May I take time to find words and ways to express my gratitude to everyone to whom I owe my life and happiness, beginning with my God, my family members and those whose love make me complete. May dare to open up the sores and scars of ingratitude and cry out, “Lord, have pity on me”. Even as I cry out for help, may I also remember His mercy and recognize His love. May I offer myself, all that I am and all that I have as a living sacrifice of gratitude to the Lord my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment