Scripture Reflections

Sunday, October 3, 2010

INCREASE IN FAITH


October 3, 2010
Twenty-Seventh Sunday Of The Year
Habakuk 1:2-3;2:2-4; 2 Timothy 1:6-8,13-14; Luke 17:5-10


Roberto and Juliette were young couples in Madrid. They were both doctors of medicine and had an adorable life with a promising career. Life seemed to be so bright for them. But suddenly things changed when Juliette was diagnosed to have cancer of the colons, that too, in an advanced stage. She had to undergo an operation immediately and they set the date. That Sunday, as Juliette returned home from the Holy mass, she told Roberto that she is not going for the operation rather she would join the parish group in a pilgrimage to the Lourdes. Roberto was shocked to hear that. He said, “Oh! no… you cannot do that! You are a doctor, and you know that this operation is very urgent. We cannot take any chances at this time. And, no! you cannot travel in this situation.” But Juliette would not listen to him. She said, “I have made up my mind. I do not want to have the operation. I will go to Lourdes, however weak I may be. I know it is risky for me to travel at this time. But, I feel the Lord will see me through.” Roberto got mad at her. When he found that no argument could ever change her mind, he brought her to the Parish priest who was organizing the pilgrimage. Roberto asked the priest to dissuade Juliette from her plan of pilgrimage and help her to consent for the operation. In spite of the enlightening and persuasive words of the priest, Juliette persisted on her plan. Roberto, then said: “I cannot understand you!”. Juliette said in reply, it is true, now we fail to understand each other because we speak different languages. You are speaking the language of reason and I am speaking the language of faith”.

The Language of Faith:
As believers we speak the language of faith. Jesus’ language was one of faith which the disciples did not understand in many occasions. The Apostles found themselves wanting in faith, in understanding Jesus and in being part of His ministry. This led impelled them to come to Jesus and pray, “Lord, increase our faith”. This was one shining moment in the lives of the Apostles with Jesus when they realized how weak they are in faith, and how Jesus could help them increase in their faith. This shall be my prayer too, today: “Lord, increase my faith”. Perhaps this is the best prayer we can ever make. When I have an increase of faith I will see the world differently, I will see it through the eyes of God.

Increase of Faith:

But what did the apostles mean when they asked for an increase of faith? How do I know that I am growing in faith? The readings for our reflection today present us with three stages of growth in faith. These stages are, 1. Trust and confidence; 2. Patience and perseverance; and 3. Gratitude.

Faith as TRUST and CONFIDENCE:

Faith is power. Faith can move mountains. A man of faith can work wonders and miracles. Jesus said, “if you have faith as little as the mustard seed, tell this mulberry tree to be uprooted and go and plant itself in the sea, it will obey you”. Jesus constantly taught us about the need to have a trusting faith. Have faith in the Lord, and “ask, it shall be granted unto you.” Again, Jesus said, “Whatsoever you ask to the Father in my name, He will give you”. The scripture teaches us that nothing is impossible for God and He will grand everything to those who ask Him in faith. Faith, in this level is the unwavering confidence in the providence of God. A man of faith is one who can do miracles and wonders, for, his prayers are all powerful with the Lord. This is why we often measure the faith of a person with his/her ability to work miraculous signs. No wonder, the world is after “faith-healers” and “faith-preachers” who, because of the strength of their faith and power of their prayers are able to bring instant healing and make impossible things happen.

Have confidence in the Lord. Believe and trust that His promises are true. Live in His loving and caring presence. God will not allow His children to suffer and ruin. This is faith. Yet, this is only the first level of faith.

Faith as PATIENCE and PERSISTENCE:

As I grow in faith I realize that faith is not about “asking and receiving” and that faith does not consist in a carrot and stick approach. It is a common experience of faith that God does not grant whatever I ask. God gives me only what is best. Faith does not take me on jolly-good ride, rather it takes me on the way of the cross. My growth in faith is marked with my journey through the dark nights of the soul. Faith tells me that God is nearer than ever, that He is within me and He cares for me. At the same time I painfully realize that I am being tested and troubled. Even when I cry out to Him with all my energy and strength, many a time God seems to be so far far away. I cry out day in and day out but God does not seem to answer me. In the first reading, Prophet Habakkuk had such an experience. Habakkuk was a minister of the Word of God, a prophet who dedicated His life for the work of God. He was given the promise and vision of God’s glory. Yet, he found himself in misery, his life was in danger. What grieved him most was the fact that God seemed so silent and so distant to him. In desperation and misery He cried out to God, “Lord, why don’t you answer me? Why are you so silent? Why do you hide your face from me? Your promises all seem so dry!” Then God answers and tells him that He is close to him. Be patient. Be patient! His prayers will be answered not in his time, but in God’s time. Who said that God did not hear his prayer and answer him? God’s answer to him was to be patient and to wait! Indeed, when God seems silent to my cries for help, it is not that He does not answer my prayer. He is asking me to wait. He is preparing something better than what I have asked for.

The test of faith is patience. How patient am I with myself, with my brothers and sisters, and with God? How well do I persist in trials and dark moments of life and faith?

Faith as GRATITUDE:

The attitude of faith grows from confidence to patience and culminates in gratitude. The highest expression of faith is gratitude. To the apostles who asked for an increase of faith Jesus told the parable of a servant who having worked day and night carrying out the will of his master considered his service as a privilege and thinks of himself as an “unprofitable servant”. This parable has the historical background of Jesus’ time when unemployment was rampant to have a job was considered a blessing. The employees were demanded to do multi-tasking and were required to work round the clock. They would not murmur or complain for the demands put on them; rather, they were only grateful that they were employed. Such is the case with those who believe in the Lord. Faith is demanding. It demands the faithful to be loyal, obedient and humble before the Lord. Faith demands that I conform myself to the will of God. Faith demands that I be grateful for all that the Lord has planned for me. The foremost sentiment I have before the Lord is that of gratitude that the Lord has made me part of His grace and mission.

I believe in the Lord not because He will grand me what I ask for, nor because His promises are awaited, but because He has given me the gift of faith, and His will for me is greater than what I can hope for. This is why I will rejoice in whatever the Lord will permit in my life. Now I see not by reason but by faith.

Test of Faith

I know I have grown in faith when I am able to say “thank you Lord” for all the pains and sufferings of my life. If I am afflicted with illness and I ask for healing but if what the Lord gives me is more suffering and deterioration of health, and then if I am able to say “thank you Lord for this illness” then I know I have grown in faith. If I have a nagging headache, and I cry out to the Lord for help, and if what the Lord gives me is not comfort but more pain, then if I am able to look at my pain and offer it to the Lord and say, “thank you Lord, for this pain”, then I know I have grown in faith. If what I ask for is a happy, peaceful and adorable relationship, yet instead what I get is a hurting, difficult relationship, and then looking at this hurt if I am able to say, “thank you Lord, for this hurting relationship”, then I know I am growing in faith. Indeed, faith is accepting the will of God in my life and recognizing His loving presence in the cross of my life. Faith is growing in the awareness that whatever I receive from the hands of God—happiness or sorrow—is all for my good and that makes me feel grateful. Growing in faith is growing in the ability to offer my life as a sacrifice of gratitude to God. All that I see now may be pain, trouble, darkness and destruction… but faith helps me see the hands of God holding and leading me to the shore of light and glory. Thanks be to Him forever and ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment