Scripture Reflections

Monday, August 23, 2010

IMAGE BUILDERS


August 21, 2010
Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Matthew 23: 1-12



A priest once narrated his experience of how people in his community were competing to honor him. One organization in his parish addressed him as “reverend father”, another one would try to be closer to him and called him “very reverend father”, yet another one would out do them and call him “most reverend father”, and the smartest of all, this organization who patronized him went as far as calling him “almost reverend rather!”

We live in a world crazy with titles and honors. People are known more for their titles than their names and services they render. Jesus strikes at the root of this self-seeking, image conscious culture, when He said, “but for you, do not be called father…. Master… rabbi…., for you have only one Father (who is in heaven), Master and Teacher (the Christ)”. Indeed, all authority and power comes from Him. All glory and praise are due to Him alone. All that we are comes from His generosity and goodness. So if I am a priest, doctor, attorney, teacher or farmer, it is not what qualifies my person and life. What I am is being qualified by the generosity and love of God for me. What I am is a reflection of the perfection of God. It is not I who stands out, but Christ who should be all and in all. The perfection in me is a reflection of the perfection of God. So in my being, body, soul and in all my achievements and failures let me glorify God.

My Identity:
If ever there is one title I can rightfully claim for me, it would be that of a “servant”. Whatever I may be in my profession, I am first and foremost a servant. I am a servant of God and servant of my human family. As a servant, it is my privilege to work and make others happy. I am working not for me—for that becomes a self-service. I am working for my master and Lord. Even as God is my master, every other human being, in whatever condition of life he/she may be, is also my master. I am a servant in as much as I am willing to obey, take orders, and share my time and talents not counting the cost.

Humble and Obedient:
Humility is the mark of a servant of Christ. No wonder, the Church calls a candidate for sainthood in the first phase a “servant of God”. The more he/she proves to be a servant of God, the faster the canonization process is accomplished. Humility leads to obedience. Even when I know those in authority do not lead by example, I remain obedient, because, authority comes from God.

Thought Capsule:
“True humility is intelligent self respect which keeps us from thinking too highly or too meanly of ourselves. It makes us modest by reminding us how far we have come short of what we can be” –Ralph W. Sockman

No comments:

Post a Comment