Scripture Reflections

Monday, August 16, 2010

PERFECTION AND POSSESSIONS



August 16, 2010
Monday Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Matthew 19:16-22


The young man who came to Jesus had all the qualities that would have made him a saint. He took his faith and religion seriously. He meticulously practiced the moral code. He observed the Ten Commandments since his early childhood. He was attracted to Jesus, and took His counsel on matters of perfection. He came to Jesus with his great desire to grow in spirituality. He was more than an average disciple. He was moved with the desire to be perfect. And Jesus loved him for his spiritual quest.

Yet he lacked one thing. He was “possessed” with material things. He had many possessions, indeed. And Jesus prescribed what he should do. Liberate himself from the possessions. Sell everything, give to the poor and come, follow Jesus. But this was not something the young man expected from Jesus, much less from his part prepared to do. He went away sad and depressed. He would never be happy again. For, he was under the control of possessions.

I am like the young man. I take my religion seriously. I delight in encountering the Lord. I admit my imperfections. I count the sacrifices I make in keeping the commandments of God. In spite of the fact that I devote much of my time for the Lord, I still find that there is something lacking in me. I do not feel being complete. This is why I ask the Lord, “what more shall I do?” My soul wants to do more, to be more perfect.

The Lord loves such a thirsting heart for perfection. And He has the remedy. But am I ready and prepared to accept His prescriptions? Do I not feel that the Lord is too demanding? Jesus strikes at the root of my vulnerability, insecurity and attachments. I came so close to perfection and I miss the grace.

I realize now that what I had was just “wishful thinking”. I wish if I could be perfect. But I lack the fire and motive to become perfect. Even as I find the struggle within, I enjoy my state of “possessions”. I am too attached to many of my possessions such as money, prestige, power, sensuality, unhealthy relationships and fatal attractions.

My desire for perfection and the initiative in taking the matter with the Lord itself turns out to be an exercise of “feel-good spirituality”. I feel good in recounting with the Lord that I am a good, practicing Catholic, making many sacrifices and sparing much of my time for the practice of my faith. I just want the Lord to approve what I do and tell me He is happy with me, that I am perfect already. I would be happy if He would tell me to multiply the prayers and other spiritual practices. An admiration and approval from the Lord is all what I seek. I least expect Him to tell me that there is something seriously lacking in me and that I should make radical changes in life.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for giving me a desire for perfection. Tell me Lord, what more shall I do today in the path of perfection. Give me the courage and strength to let go of my possessions.

Thought Capsule:
The more I grow in perfection, the more imperfections I will notice within me.
The more imperfect I am the more imperfections I will find in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment