Scripture Reflections

Monday, September 20, 2010

LIGHT OF FAITH


September 20, 2010
Monday, 25th Week in Ordinary Time
Luke 8: 16-18

Christ the Light:


One of the most effective and powerful symbolism Jesus found to describe Himself was that of the light. He claimed to be the light of the world. He called His disciples to abide in His light. Further, He also claimed that His disciples are the light of the world. The Gospel of John speaks of eternal light breaking upon us tearing down the curtain of the darkness of sin and impurities. Indeed, Jesus, the Son of God is the light of the universe, the light shining in every soul, mind and heart, calling creation to the realm of the kingdom of light. God is light because everything is made manifest in Him, there is no duplicity in Him and He is the source and summit of all that is good, beautiful and truthful. Jesus is the light of the World, for, in Him the Father is made manifest to the world and the world is made manifest to the Father.

We, the Light:

Just as the Lord is the Light of the world, so are we, His disciples. Jesus wants us to live as children of the light. The properties of light such as vision, clarity, transparency, openness and purity are gifted to His disciples in the abundance of Grace from the heart of God the Father. Today we are called upon to be the light of Christ in a world of darkness, deception and contradictions. I am called to be reveal in my person, words, dealings and relationships the true image of God to the creation that surrounds me, and well as to bring the creation into the Light of the Lord in Heaven.

Light of Faith:
I come into the light of Christ by virtue of the grace of baptism. At baptism, a lighted candle was given to me and to my parents and godparents with the reminder that I am receiving the light of Christ. I was also reminded that this light is to be kept burning bright in my heart, giving light to those around me, till the time I enter the eternal light in Heaven. Further, I was told that the baptismal grace and the light of faith are the gift of the Holy Trinity, through the Church, for me to be strong and guide in my pilgrimage of life. This light is an assurance for me that the Lord has already come in history, He is present in my person, and He will come again in glory. I keep this light alive as a sign of my longing for Him, to welcome Him no matter whatever time and hour of the day He will arrive.

Witnessing the Light:
The light is meant for others. It cannot be hidden. So also, my faith cannot all be a “personal” and “private” affair. Faith is a communitarian affair. To say that I have faith, I believe in Christ, but I do not believe in the practices of faith in the Church is to say that I have no faith at all. To hide the light is to distinguish the light and to deny the existence of light.

Jesus wants me to practice my faith, to proclaim it, and to be a witness to His light wherever I may be. My faith is to be seen in my life and dealings. Do people around me see the strength of my faith? Do people related to me, beginning with my family, my friends and co-workers recognize my faith and faith practices? Do they feel attracted to “pray the way I pray” and to “worship in faith, as I do”? Do I become a pointer and image leading people to Jesus? Does my faith have a positive influence in the community I live?

1 comment:

  1. Tis true...we're all to be light and salt in this sin soaked world.

    ReplyDelete