Scripture Reflections

Monday, September 13, 2010

PRAY LIKE THE CENTURION



September 13, 2010
Monday 24th Week In Ordinary Time – Year II

1corinthians 11:17-26, 33; Luke 7:1-10


The story of the centurion who sought the help of Jesus for the healing of his slave teaches us the three attitudes of prayer: mediation, humility and trust.

Mediation:
The centurion sends a delegation to Jesus to intercede for him. What the centurion would pray for is not a grace for himself, rather for his slave. Pleading for the needs and cause of others is an essential element of Christian prayer. It is a manifestation of love. To pray for others is one of the best gifts we can offer them. Do you want the prayer to be effective, then, pray more for others and less for yourself. This is one lesson I have learned over the years through my experience. This is where intercessory prayers become important in my spiritual practices. Jesus Himself is the mediator par excellence. He intercedes for us with the Father. We have the Blessed Virgin Mary and all other saints on whose intercession we rely for help. The Jews who came to intercede for the cause of the centurion place their petition before the Lord with the logic of the “kindness and generosity” of the centurion—that in spite of his being a non-Jew, he is good to the Jewish community and that he built a synagogue for them. Indeed the best way of praying for the self is to pray through acts of kindness, generosity and love. Jesus gladly listens to the prayer of petition made in generosity and love and offers to go and heal the slave of the centurion. When it comes to generosity and love, nobody can outdo Jesus. If you take one step toward Him, He will take a hundred steps toward you.

Humility:
The centurion is a unusual symbol of humility. He was a man of authority, power and influence. He could have ordered Jesus to come and heal his slave. But, he understands the Divinity of Jesus and he realizes how small he is before the Lord. This awareness is reflected in his declaration: “Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof. “Only say a word and my slave shall be well”. Such was his humility that he does not feel even worthy to stand before the Lord, to see Him face to face. Jesus is moved by such a manifestation of humility, that too, from an unbeliever. True prayer is a reflection of the humble heart. The more I realize the grace of God surround me, I will fall on my knees and fold my hands before the Lord. Our hearts can be raised to the throne of God only on our bended knees, prostrate minds and folded hands. A danger that could happen to me in my journey of faith is that, the more I walk with the Lord, I might presume it is my right that He grants my prayer, that He come to my heart, that He moves with me. This is spiritual pride which would blind my heart to the real nature of my being a creature who only can beg for His mercy. Jesus offers to enter my heart, and stay with me in the Holy Eucharist. How do I welcome Him?

Trust:
Prayer demands trust and faith in the power of God. The centurion expressed his trust in the Almighty and All powerful Lord, in His Word and Presence. God accomplished the creation of the universe with the power of His word, “Let it be”. Jesus worked out miracles, bringing the dead back to life by the power of His Word. His Word has not diminished in power. His word is active and effective as it was in the beginning, as it was 2000 years ago, and it will be powerful till the end of the world. I just need to believe and trust in His power. Prayer involves a two-fold trusting: trusting in the power of God, and trusting in His mercy/love. To believe that Jesus can do a miracle is not enough. The faith that everything is possible with the Lord is just the beginning of trust. I need also to trust in His mercy and love that He will do it for me. The Lord can, and He will! This is what is called “confidence” in prayer.

Today, let me bring before the Lord, in confidence, faith and trust, all the intentions and petitions of my community, especially those who are in need of His healing grace this day. Even as I am most unworthy of His favors, I believe that the Lord will show mercy to those who trust in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment