Scripture Reflections

Thursday, September 2, 2010

HE CAUGHT THEM!



September 2, 2010

Thursday of Twenty-Second Week in Ordinary Time
Luke 5:1-11



Great Catch: A fisherman’s dream:

Peter and his companions had a great catch as they risked their wisdom and dared to obey the command of Jesus. It was a dream catch. The greatest dream a fisherman has is to have a great catch, so great that his life could change. Indeed, this was the day Peter and his companions had it beyond their dream. They caught big. Their nets were tearing up and their boats were about to sink for the quantity of fish they caught that day. Their joy was beyond expression for they had their dream catch when they had given up after all their efforts went dry.

Eyes off from the fish to the Carpenter:
If the fish they caught amazed them, they were all the more amazed when they took off their eyes from their catch to the one who showed them the direction. The Carpenter-teacher, who borrowed Peter’s boat for a while for his teaching has now rewarded them beyond their expectations and imaginations. The fisher men rightly sensed that the Carpenter from Nazareth has a greater wisdom and power than the fisher folk. He knows the direction. It has slowly dawned on them, that, HE IS THE DIRECTION in life. They were caught up in wonder with the wisdom and direction of Jesus.

He Caught Them:
Jesus caught them! More than Peter and the companions with the amazing catch of their lives, it turned out that it was Jesus who had a great catch that day. He caught them by surprise and amazement. He caught them by faith. He caught them by His Divine word of love. Indeed, Peter and his companions realized that this was their day. Their life will be no more the same not because they had their dream catch, but because Jesus has caught them! They wound no more complain for the dearth of fish, for Jesus has offered to teach them the art of fishing. He has promised even greater catch—to catch men for His Kingdom! This realization led them to let go of their dream catch—the jackpot they hit—along with their fishing gear, hired workers, families and friends and follow the carpenter turned Master Fisherman. Now, Jesus not only provides for them, but becomes the boat of their life in which they will cross the ocean of this turbulent world. Jesus has become the fish for them, satisfying them in their physical, spiritual, emotional and social needs. From their job of fishing in the sea, they are now given the vocation to fish people and bring them to the ocean of grace. No more will they need to frantically spin for direction, for they have the sure source of direction with them.

Get Caught:
Do I feel frantic, directionless, and hopeless in my relationships and work? Let me look up to the Lord this day for direction and strength.
Do I allow myself to be caught by grace?
Do I lend my boat for Jesus today?
What are the greatest dreams I cherish in my heart?
Do I bring those dreams to the Lord, and what response do I give Him when He asks me to change the direction and let go of my fears?
How do I open myself, my life and resources to Jesus the Teacher, the Leader, the Motivator, and the Provider?
What are the things the Lord is asking me to risk this day that I may have the greatest catch of my day?
How do I respond to the call of the Lord to join him in “catching men for His Kingdom”?

No comments:

Post a Comment